We’re pleased to welcome our latest global member, Singapore’s National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre (NVPC). The nonprofit leads the country’s efforts to become a “Giving Nation” and a “City of Good” through culture change and partnerships with non-profit organizations, businesses, public sector agencies, institutions and the community.
Deputy Director Janssen Ong commented, “as we work towards building a City of Good, one of our strategic priorities is to actively engage seniors to give back to our community. By joining the Encore Network, we hope to connect with international Encore members and share best practices with one another.”
Singapore overview and Successful Ageing Action Plan
Singapore is an island city-state and thriving business hub of 5.6 MM people, located off the southern tip of Malaysia. Since independence in 1965, the country has strategically made the most of its location, land and people resources. As in many other developed countries, Singapore’s population is aging rapidly. To benefit from its longevity dividend and get ahead of challenges, in 2016 Singapore launched an ambitious Action Plan for Successful Ageing with investments in lifelong learning, health, housing, transportation, employment and civic engagement.
NVPC activities support the Successful Ageing Plan’s civic engagement goals and benefit Individuals, nonprofits and corporations. Its programs include:
- Online platform GIVING.SG matches donors and volunteers to charities and supports the annual #GIVINGWEEKSG. Home to over 470 charities, donors can help by giving their time, talent and/or treasure and support any of the 14 causes. To date, Giving.sg has raised more than $100 million in donations, garnered about 140,000 registered users, and engineered more than 240,000 volunteer hours.
- The business-focused Company of Good program, which activates companies to give strategically, ensuring the sustainability and impact of their contributions.
- The Centre for Non-profit Leadership, NVPC’s consulting arm, which nurtures social sector leadership and professional development, builds effective boards and connects non-profit leaders and corporate professionals.
- The CoLABS community, which fosters insights and co-created solutions by connecting business leaders, philanthropic institutions and government grant makers.
- The national President’s Volunteerism & Philanthropy Awards (PVPA), which recognizes individuals, businesses, ground-up movements, non-profit organizations and educational institutions that have achieved excellence in giving. The President of the Republic of Singapore personally presents the awards.
For more information, contact Deputy Director Janssen Ong, firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: June 27, 2018